So, yesterday I set a challenge for the Husband and myself. We are going to fully clean and organize this house within the next twelve months. The Husband is fully on board, but the roommate still doesn’t know.
To start, I picked the room we use most, outside of the bedroom – our “office”. He has a junk press board boxed desk, while I’m actually using a dining table. The dining table is just about perfect – perhaps a smidge too deep, but we can live with that. Clearly, we want a clean, organized look which means matching. Here’s what we’re working with right now:
Frankly, that’s not awesome. The printer is in an awkward place. Directly to my left, right outside the frame of this picture is the bookshelf I posted a picture of yesterday – I’m stuck between those two, while the Husband is stuck between the printer and the wall. It’s kind of cramped. (Though I do love the wall-to-wall windows!)
A lot of work needs done before I’m satisfied. But where to start? I need lists, so I created one:
- Clean out files – I am going to sit down and actually go through everything in our filing cabinet, shredding what we no longer need.
- Complete Household Binder. That open binder is mine, in all of its disarrayed glory. That link will take you to one of my inspirations. Mine won’t be a replica because some things don’t apply to us.
- Clean out mail. Seriously. I have mail from 6 months ago. Why? Part of this will involve a multi-sectioned filing system at the door – one for each roommate, while another part will involve specific trays of “To-be” and “Already” Paid.
- Color code the folders in my filing cabinet. You know, once I get them pared down to only what I need.
- Get rid of books. I have a Kindle app and over 1000 books in my Kindle Cloud, yet I occasionally still buy a paperback from the used book store. And the pile up. And up. And up. Time to make a trip to the library to donate some books!
- Put up wall shelves. Something like these Rubbermaid Closets from Lowes. Not exactly, but similar. The system I like is around $200. That’s just not in my immediate budget.
- Decide where to put the black shelf we have in here right now. It’s a junk collector.
- Complete dusting of the room. For the longest, the Husband did all the cleaning but he’s not a duster. So, it’s time to catch up – and stay caught up. Our allergies will thank us.
- Make a budget. Yes, this is part of organizing the office. Absolutely.
- Update or cancel Mint. We used this free service at one point or another. Unfortunately, we no longer have the account it is tied to, so each week I get updates about an inactive accounts. It’s a great service. And free. That definitely fits within our budget!
- Clean off book shelf. This will go hand in hand with putting up those wall shelves as then I can truly have a place for everything.
So, that is the first room tackled. It’s been a long day – I get up at 4 am on the weekends; generally go to bed by 7. Tonight, I’m going to focus on the Household Binder. Right now, I have an older 1″ black binder that I’m using. I’d like to move it to something nicer, but not at a huge expense!! Of course, in the middle of that, I’ll be blitzing the 2nd bedroom in the house so that it can be put to use again.